Plagiarism and college culture

Blog for Eng 114. Spring 2010

Monday, March 22, 2010

Books Books Books

I'm reading a lot of books, but at the same time I haven't been reading! Ok that sounds confusing so to explain...I currently am not reading anything else besides school related articles/books. None the less I still like to think that since I am in the midst of a couple books...I am reading? :] As for couple? Yeah! I have a habit of starting one book, putting it down and starting another, and switching between books when one gets boring.


I'm in the midst of This Side of Paradise, The Beautiful and Damned, and Of Human Bondage. The first two books are both by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I loved The Great Gastby in high school, so I thought I'd check out some of Fitzgerald's other work.


This Side of Paradise: It's all about finding meaning, finding yourself, and finding where you fit in. It's a really slow book since there's not really much of a plot...it's the main character's (Amory) journey to self-realization and meaning.

The Beautiful and Damned: Love, Marriage, Riches, Alcoholism, and Decadence during the jazz age. The story is based on the relationship between Fitzgerald and his wife Zelda.

Of Human Bondage(by W. Somerset Maugham): One word: Drama! Soap Opera! haha. This is the most interesting of the books I've started. :] Oh, for one thing it's not what you think. Human Bondage actually means Emotional Bondage. Philip is emotionally attached to Mildred and is blinded by his emotional chains that he disregards how often she has hurt him.

Recommendations+Books I've read/want to read:

Gladwell-Outliers:I was talking to my friend about how much I liked the Gladwell article we read for class...and well, she likes Gladwell just as much as I do! I haven't started Outliers yet, but my friend has the book so I'll get my hands on it soon enough. :]

Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child: Two very good authors who are great at blending science/psychology, crime, mystery, and suspense. My chemistry teacher in high school granted extra credit for book reports we'd do on any of Preston & Child's books. Still Life with crows was my first book from the two authors. Yes there's science in this book, but it's hardly noticeable! Has anyone heard of the term feral child or Genie?

"A feral child is a human child who has lived isolated from human contact from a very young age, and has no (or little) experience of human care, loving or social behavior, and, crucially, of human language. .." (Google, which i just noticed got this definition from Wikipedia)

Still Life with Crows takes the concept of the feral child to a whole new innocently murderous extent.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Malcolm Gladwell's books are great! You should definitely check them out.

March 24, 2010 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger Eng 114 said...

Yeah lately I've been reading but they're all texts for school. Nothing really that I've gone and picked out myself.

March 25, 2010 at 7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home